So, last Saturday and Sunday (May 1-2) Nashville was hit with a 500 year flood. The Cumberland River got higher than there has ever been a record kept. Many homes and businesses were affected by the flood. The water finally started returning to a non-flood level the following Wednesday. Downtown was flooded for many days, along with many homes to the East of Nashville. We have all started the cleaning process. Our ward was out Monday, May 3rd to help a family get their home gutted and ready for a redo. This process has gone quickly for most everyone, but all the "trash" (someone's lifetime of memories and property) is still sitting at the side of the road. We have been told how to separate the trash to make the removal go quicker, but I have yet to see any debris be removed. That has got to be hard to see your belongings sitting for weeks waiting to be taken away to the dump.
The hardest thing about this flood is that nearly everyone was without flood insurance because they were told we are not on a flood plane. One man reported he had flood insurance, but it was only for his house, his belongings were not included. How wrong is that of the insurance company? An elderly couple whom Kaleb and I helped out this last Saturday asked for flood insurance and the insurance company talked them OUT of getting it. Someone on that end should be held accountable. My heart aches for all the families that have lost so much.
The last report I heard, there were 21 people who were killed by the storms that hit the mid-US. Every time we drive past or on Blue Hole Rd, at least one of the boys say, "This is the road where that one guy died, isn't it?" They had on TV a recording of a man who was hanging onto a power poll, became exhausted and ended up drowning. I'm grateful my children are in tune to those that were affected by this flood. Whenever we drive past an area that was hard hit Kaleb begs me to stop so we can help. We have helped a lot, but life must still continue on. Our day to help will come again soon...maybe tomorrow or Thursday.
The first 3 photos are ones I took on my way to the grocery store Saturday afternoon. I was going to go to Publix, but they were flooded (1st pic). The 2nd and 3rd pics are just down the road from us on Nolensville Rd. The 4th and 5th photos are from Sunday afternoon when we decided to be daring and drive around a bit to see how things were looking. A little crazy and surreal if you ask me! The last pics are of the aftermath of the flood. So many homes have had to be gutted with drywall removed half way up the walls. I worry about foundations on some of the homes, but the owners have no where else to go. :(








With all that said, I have learned something very valuable through this, as has most of Nashville. We are a strong community. We truly are the Volunteer State! So many have pitched in, looting has been VERY minimal, and recovery is going quickly. Downtown is getting put back together for the CMA Fest taking place June 10-13th. The Opry Mall, Grand Ole Opry, and Opry Hotel are going to take a while to get back up to par, but they did have a good amount of flood insurance to help with their recovery. I am proud to be a part of such a great city. We've loved living here for the last 2 years, and are now even more happy we can call ourselves Nashvillians! :) (Not Nashvillans)
3 comments:
So glad that u were safe! But so heartbreaking to see all the debris everywhere. hopefully everything gets killed up fast. What a great family u have for helping so much.
Wow - what a mess! I'm glad you guys are safe and sound and have had so many opportunities for service. Your kids will always remember this - and it sounds like they've learned some really powerful things from it!
What, not villans?! :)
Goodness, I can't imagine witnessing such heartache. But at the same time that unity you've been able to experience with your community must fill your heart with such an overwhelming feeling of hope and love. I know it does for me whenever I read stories like this so thanks for sharing! Glad you're all okay!
Post a Comment