Monday, August 23, 2010

Better late than never, right?

Ok, so Derek turned 8 July 3rd. I am way late in posting about it, but it was such a busy time and such an important birthday, it's worth posting late. We went down to New Orleans the week before his birthday and had a great time with our family and Mom and Dad Scott. We got home the day before his birthday. On Saturday our community had a 3rd of July bike parade for all the kids in the neighborhood. The boys had a blast participating in that parade! We then made preparations for Derek's baptism to become a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It's so neat to now have two children that have been able to be baptized on their birthday (Kaleb was, too). Mom and Dad Scott, Papa Whited, and his cousin Colby were able to travel from afar to be at his baptism. Derek loved having his loved ones here for him. After his baptism we ate somewhere that is escaping my memory right now and headed home for cake, ice cream and dessert. When evening fell we had a bit of a firework demonstration, as well. It was way cool! :) We had an amazing day! I am so proud of Derek and the wonderful young man he is becoming. He's a joy to have in our family and I feel lucky to be his mom!

Here's 8 reasons I love my Derek:
1. His spontaneity in some of the things he says.
2. How he keeps growing older without looking much older.
3. His entrepreneurial spirit, following his daddy's footsteps.
4. The way he loves everyone unconditionally.
5. His huge personality.
6. His tender heart and brilliant mind.
7. How his laugh is so contagious.
8. What a spiritual giant he is becoming.

I love you so much Derek! Don't ever change for anybody!!










1 comment:

hilary said...

Yay for Derek!! I sure do love that boy (and all your boys). In the picture with him and the scriptures he looks like such a little missionary. Cute!! *Hugs* to you all.