Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Time Out For Women, Again

I had the amazing opportunity to attend my second TOFW this year. It was in Nashville this last weekend. Oh my goodness! I got so much out of it, again! Chieko Okazaki was the speaker Friday night. She spoke of teaching correct principles and then allowing that person to govern themselves. I realized I need to teach the boys more correct principles, not what they are doing wrong. I'm going to get two chairs and call them "discussion chairs". If there is any incident that happens between two boys I am going to have them discuss the issue in the chairs, instead of having them come tattle to me about what the other person did wrong. I've learned that I can help and support, teach and love the boys, but I cannot live their lives for them. This I knew, but never looked at it that way. I can't control them, I can only guide them and remind them. I will teach and re-teach as much as necessary.

Hilary Weeks was one of the musical performers Friday night, along with Kenneth Cope. Oh how gospel music lifts my soul! The stories behind some of their songs are so touching and help me understand more of what is being sung about. I was able to get pictures with both Chieko (along with a hug and autograph) and Kenneth Cope (and an autograph from him, too). Hilary Weeks has an amazing voice and plays the piano beautifully. She's a new favorite of mine.

Saturday brought us Emily Watts, Camille Fronk Olsen, Chris Stewart, Jason Wright, Carolyn Rasmuss, and Hilary Weeks was the musical performer all day. Emily taught about not being so hard on ourselves. My favorite quote from her is, "you don't have to be perfect, you have to be trying." Camille spoke on women of the Bible and barrenness and compared the King James interpretation and the Hebrew interpretation. "Womb" in the Hebrew interpretation means "compassion". She shared a lot of how Hannah was barren and pledged any child she may receive right back to the Lord. Camille said, "We need to let go when we turn to the Lord for help." We need to not keep thinking in our mind that we can still do it, it needs to not be a half hearted hand off, we need to give the Lord every bit of our problem and promise to be his disciple in return. Chris Stewart spoke on our purpose of life. That we are to have joy and joy does not mean that we can only have joy when things are going right in our life. Joy is something we should find in times of trial, also. We must look at the good in every situation and thank the Lord for giving us the trials we face to strengthen us. As Chris put it, "It is in the darkness that we truly see the light." Jason Wright reminded us that the power of the written word is strong. We need to send out more hand written letters. The computer is easier, but there is nothing as personal as receiving a hand written letter. The concluding speaker shared the message of how "the gospel is a resource when we are experiencing pain." We will all experience difficulties no matter how we live our lives. We are expected to turn to the Lord in our trials to help us through.

The main thing I learned from the TOFW is that I chose to come to earth, to experience the things I am experiencing. I knew most of the struggles and challenges I was going to face and I looked at the Lord and said I would do it because I knew He loved me and had already given me so much. What my life is and how it goes is part of the plan I knew of before I came to this earth. I have a new outlook on my day to day situation. I have a renewed hope in how I parent my children and help them become better people.

I had a fantastic time with friends. Julie and I went together Friday night. I had the privilege of meeting some of her very dear friends from Ohio. We were able to get to know each other a bit and know that we could be long time friends now, too. I was able to get to know a few more sisters in my ward a bit better. TOFW brings a renewal of purpose in my life. I love to socialize, as all of you know. This event gives me that opportunity, with women that have the same goals as I do and struggle with some of the same things. I come home more appreciative of my family and with a renewed hope in my parenting skills. One thing I have learned about myself is I need a boost in parenting styles very frequently. Some things stick with me better than others, and it's always good to get a fresh new approach to how I handle day to day life.

Pictures will be coming soon...Julie took some and I just need to get them from her. Good news! I found my camera (actually Tyler did this morning). YAY!

1 comment:

hilary said...

Sounds awesome! I'm glad you got to go. I miss you and love you!
Hilary