Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Christmas Memories

My friend Ashley is a graphic designer and made a Christmas Advent Calendar. I was responding to her request for favorite Christmas memories and I came out with a novel. Instead of making her post my lifetime Christmas story on her blog, I decided I should just make it a post on my blog. So here's what I wrote:

Christmas is my favorite, so I have a lot of great memories! One thing my family did growing up was always be "Santa's Elves" by taking food (lots of meat because we were dairy farmers) to a family that was in need (most farmers were). We'd put the food on the door step, ring the bell, run like crazy and hide so we could see them open the door and thus see their reactions! I always felt like we were rich because we could share with others, when in reality we weren't rich with money, we were rich with love and it helped me learn the meaning of Christmas from a very young age.

There was the year my Brothers and Sister told me the red flashing light in the sky was Rudolph and I'd better get to bed or Santa wouldn't leave any presents (it was an airplane), but I believed them and fell asleep right away. I am the youngest and they all knew about Santa already.

When I was 3 we were driving up our street on Christmas Eve and we saw Santa going into someone's house! We looked for his Reindeer (they told me they must be on the water tower, haha). The little kids ran inside, threw on our PJ's and jumped into bed, so excited that we had see Santa and that he was on his way to our house.

I think it was the year before that my Gramma and Grampa were with us for Christmas. I remember all the presents were open and my Gramma asked me if I saw anything else that hadn't been given to who it belonged to. She pointed up into the tree, and there was a grey stuffed mouse waiting for me to find, I still have it and will never get rid of that wonderful memory.

Looking at all my memories I see that family and giving is the recurring thing that stays in my memory. I don't remember every gift I got, or every gift I gave. But I do remember being with family and feeling joy and happiness because I was with them. My parents did a wonderful job helping me know from a very young age that Christmas was not about getting, is was about giving.

The thing I love to say to my children when they ask if Santa is real is: "The Spirit of Santa Claus is very real!" He is such a wonderful example of being Christ-like. I feel that I can say that, they then feel happy that Santa is "real" and I haven't had to tell a lie. I know the day is coming soon when Kaleb will know about Santa and maybe even Tyler. I hope they will know that the Spirit of Santa is real and that they can keep their new found knowledge to themselves. :) They know some people don't believe in Santa ("Polar Express" and "Miracle on 39th Street" made that very obvious) and that some do believe in Santa. I love the magic "Santa" brings into every Christmas morning.
Our Family Tradition we have continued in our family from when I was growing up is giving a gift to Jesus. On Christmas Eve we get a small box (usually a check box), wrap it up in tinfoil, write a letter to Jesus telling Him the things we will do better the coming year (New Year's Resolutions, of sorts), close up the box with the letter in it and put it under the Christmas Tree. It stays closed until the following Christmas (or you can open it to refresh yourself on what you promised) and see how well you did at the things you wrote down. It helps us, and the children, remember why we celebrate Christmas and brings things into perspective for at least a little while.

As Thanksgiving approaches and Christmas draws near I hope all my beautiful family and friends know how much I love them. I am so grateful for all the wonderful people I have in my life, especially for our Savior and Redeemer. I hope you all have a safe and grateful Thanksgiving. We get to be with Will's family for Thanksgiving. I can hardly wait to leave Saturday morning. We will definitely be Thankful this year, as we have been every year!

*The picture is of the boys at the end of the Christmas season last year...we'll see how much they've grown in a month or so. :)

2 comments:

and peanut makes three... said...

Oh, I love that. Thanks for sharing. Miss you SO much! XOXO

the jensen's said...

These are wonderful! I'm so glad you wrote them all down! We also did the gift to Christ each year - what a great tradition. p.s. are you back from your trip yet? I want to hear all about it!