Friday, October 22, 2010

Thank you for serving our country

Yesterday we went to Staples to recycle some printer ink cartridges (so I can get $2 for each one in Staples savings for my next cartridges). We were up near the counter and Kaleb was kind of hanging close to this gentleman in Army fatigues and I asked him what he was doing. He said, "I'm kind of nervous to tell him thank you for serving our country." I looked at him in utter amazement and said, "Well then, just go do it before he leaves." So he did! The gentleman seemed a little taken aback and said it was his pleasure and he wouldn't have it any other way. He said thank you to Kaleb for saying that to him. My son makes me soooo proud to be a mom. I remember mentioning to the boys to do that to a group of Army members quite a while ago when we were in a store. No one was able to before the group was gone. That he would remember how important it is to be thankful for their service to help keep us safe brings tears to my eyes! That's my boy!

Then, last night I had Kaleb watch the boys while I went to the Temple. I had 2 neighbors on call for emergency situations, just in case. Everything went smoothly and the house was standing when I got home. Then as he was hugging me goodnight I told him I had money for him and he said I didn't need to pay him. I just asked him why and he said that a scout is willing to serve without any monetary reward. :) Ah, doesn't he just melt your heart?!! I payed him anyway, because he is soooo awesome! I love him and every day he makes me more and more proud to be his mother here on Earth!

4 comments:

melissa said...

you should be proud ;) you are raising AWESOME boys! I teared up reading both accounts. So excited to have you guys back in SLO soon- you are a WONDERFUL example of righteous, loving, tender motherhood in action :) Love you!

Sandy said...

Too bad blogs don't have a "LIKE" button, I'd use it on this post! :)

Jessica said...

such sweet boys you're raising there...and what great examples they are to me. It's amazing that these kids are actually taking in what we so often feel they're just tuning out...good thing for these little glimpses or I think I'd just give up! So happy for your family that you'll be back in SLO...not so happy we don't get to be there with you! happy moving!

Christopher and Leslie Parker Lheron said...

I really like that you write such great things as this on your blog. I like to hear about my friends Life! Thanks!