Sunday, February 27, 2011

Uplifting Sabbath Day

What a wonderful day we had at church today! Tyler, Kaleb and Will stayed home from church since the older boys aren't feeling well. So it was just Derek, Logan and myself. Amazing talks were shared in Sacrament meeting (by Sister deGroot, Sophia May, and Bishop Brundage). Sister deGroot shared the importance of fasting, and really internalizing a fast, rather than going through the motions. She emphasized that we should prepare ourselves for fasting rather than: stuffing ourselves the night before so we aren't hungry as early the next day, forgetting it's fast Sunday at all, sneaking in a little cereal in the morning as we feed our children breakfast, and forcing those children who turn 8 to immediately start fasting because it can be more detrimental than helpful. I have been guilty of all those so often, it is hard to remember when I've actually prepared myself for a fast appropriately. I know I have, it's just been those days that I have full purpose in heart, when things are hard or someone is ill and needs a little extra prayer/thought. I need to help teach my children about why we fast, how we prepare to fast, and how to enjoy a fast; knowing all the blessings that will come to them or to whomever they are fasting for. They understand some of these concepts on a basic level, but I know they could know so much more.

After Sacrament meeting the boys and I headed to Primary. I love my calling...and I haven't always been able to say that about the calling I have. I am the Primary Chorister, and LOVE singing with the kids. I had this calling when I was pregnant with Kaleb, and did not have the same feelings. :) I love looking at those kids' faces, seeing them smile at me (or wiggle around) and hear them sing the songs we are learning for the Primary Program we'll have at the end of the year. Today I introduced our stick picture animals and sounds to sing with the songs. This was a new concept to this Primary and they LOVED singing like a sheep, bee, bird, and cow. It's such a great way to have them recall the words when they have to switch between baaing and singing the words to the music! It was so cute to see them so excited to participate in the music today!! I wish I could have recorded them so you could see how excited they were. "Can I hold the picture?", "Let's do it again!", and "Can we do the bzzz-bzzz to this song, too?" were priceless!!

Today was a much needed day. I'm also handing my worries back over to the Lord. He will guide us the direction we are supposed to go, He always has. Stressing and worrying about our situation is not going to help it get any better. So, I'm trusting in the Lord and doing all I can, and that will be enough!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh,I so miss those dear people of San Luis! Glad you were able to feel filled today. And may I say, I am jealous of your calling. Best ever! love you and always thinking of you and I know that Heavenly Father is so, so aware of you and that sweet family of yours.

hilary said...

I'm so glad you had a great day. Hooray for the sabbath! :-)
I read a neat article on a blog the other day that really resonated with me, and the last part of your post made me think of it again. In case you'd like to read it: http://blog.cjanerun.com/2011/02/sunday-guest-post-series-j-scott.html
Love you!
Hilary

Sandy said...

Nice to hear what my mama said :)

Becky said...

i love how you are in primary... again! seems like every where you go, the lord is putting you back there. lucky kids to have you@