Thursday, August 7, 2008

I know you are all anxiously awaiting photos of the house...I don't know how to get them from Will's Mac to my laptop...I'm working on it. :) A more pressing matter is at hand though, and I felt that what Becky and Garrett put on their blog was worth copying and pasting onto a post in my blog. I may even put it on my facebook page. Here's the pressing matter:

"We call upon responsible citizens everywhere..."

Those from or living in California right now are probably very familiar with Proposition 8. There's a good chance that others not from the Golden State have too heard about this proposed amendment that is being voted on in the November election. To give a brief history behind this all, here are a few bullet points to know:

In 2000, California voters passed Proposition 22 saying that marriage is between a man and a women.

Earlier this year in 2008, 4 supreme court judges in San Francisco over turned the people's vote back in 2000 (that was passed by more than 60% of the people), and legalized same-sex marriage.... simultaneously redefining marriage for the state of California.

Proposition 8 is going to be on this November election's ballet. By voting yes to Proposition 8, the definition of marriage will be restored back to how it was orginially stated in 2000 and will add a new section to the California constitution that will read:

"Only marriage between a man and woman will be recognized in the state of California"

As a member of the LDS church and having a firm testimony that marriage indeed between a man and a woman is ordained of God, and that the family is central to His plan, I fully support Proposition 8. I pray and hope that the people of California too will gain this knowledge for themselves, and have the courage to stand up for truth and righteousness to uphold the sacredness of the family unit.
As our beloved prophet President Gordon B. Hinckley and his counselors proclaimed in 1995, as a watchman from a tower giving warning to the Lord's people, they prophetically said:

We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.

My hope and prayer is that we will do just that. (Garrett and Becky Giles)

I copy and paste this because my beliefs and testimony are just as strong and my conviction the same as these dear friends.

2 comments:

Becky said...

yes, get some pictures of here pronto!!! and happy anniversary!

Fleming Family said...

I love you Becky! Thanks so much! I had to check to see what day it is and make sure I didn't forget to say that to Will. :) Thursday...10 years. Dang! I hope you know how awesome you are!